1) Obviously, it starts with business providing its certain service (the price of this service is fixed in US Dollars).
2) The company determines the rules that prescribe that clients can get a discount (say 50%) if pay for the service with tokens (that the company issues on its decentralized project).
3) The number of tokens is limited. More than that, they can even burn out over time, while the rise in the demand to the service (caused by the profitable discount for the clients) prompts a corresponding rise in the token price.
4) Price of tokens keeps on going up, thus providing novice investors with reasons to believe that it’s worth investing, which afterwards contributes to another price boost.
5) The only losers in this process are the company’s shareholders, who suffer losses (that’s why this token is actually a Security).
6) The project’s founders can easily manipulate the price by controlling the number of tokens that are put on the stock exchange. The majority of tokens is obviously in their hands, plus they get those that were exchanged on the service they provide.
And that’s basically how you set up a semi-decentralized pyramid scam that will work with any kind of business.